We have made a change here at Cavill & Wicks to help reduce waste & help the environment. While we loved the look & function of our recyclable metal candle lids, many of them still ended up in the landfill. We decided to make a change and have opted to use plantable seed paper dust covers instead.
What is seed paper?
Seed paper is a special eco-friendly paper made from post-consumer materials embedded with wildflower, herb or vegetable seeds. When you plant the paper in a pot of soil or outside in a garden, the seeds in the paper germinate and grow into plants.
- Biodegradable (zero-waste)
- Approved for planting in the USA, Canada & Many Other Countries Worldwide
- Non GMO & Non Invasive
- Made from Recycled Content
- Bee Friendly!
Plantable paper is a biodegradable eco-paper made with post-consumer and post-industrial paper waste that is embedded with seeds. (No trees harmed for this paper!) When the paper is planted in a pot of soil, the seeds grow and the paper composts away. All that is left behind are flowers!
We get our seed paper dust covers from Botanical Paperworks, a local Canadian Company.
1. Prepare Your Pot with 2/3 potting soil.
2. Plant the Paper. Spread 1/8 layer of soil over plantable paper. You can plant more than one paper together overlapping if needs be.
3. Water During Germination. After planting the paper in your pot, give it a good soak. The soil & paper should be nicely damp but not swimming. During the first 10 days keep the paper/soil moist.
4. Care After Germination. Once sprout appear, continue to keep them moist but do not over water. Once sturdy plants appear, water as needed.